Friday, October 30, 2009

Please Mr. Postman, where is my yellow envelope?

Sony (or actually Mentor Media, the third-party company responsible for fulfilling the Windows 7 Upgrade Program) has finally decided to ship out the Windows 7 Upgrade Package to their customers. The whole process was somewhat confusing. I submitted by upgrade request through Sony on October 9, 2009. I filled in the online application, got an email instruction to send in a "proof-of-purchase". I emailed them a copy of the order confirmation, but nothing happened. No additional email confirmation or response of any kind until October 16, 2009, when I received another email stating that the "proof-of-purchase" had been verified. After that it's more waiting, until yesterday when a big yellow envelope suddenly appeared in my mailbox. I quickly torn it apart to reveal the Windows 7 Upgrade Disk from Sony.

The installation process was pretty much identical to that described in my previous post. I actually did not use the Windows 7 media from Sony, but used the one I got from MSDN instead. The good news is, the CDKEY works perfectly on the MSDN version (also the retail version). It allowed me to activate my Windows 7 online without any problems. Sony has already released some Windows 7 drivers for the FW490, so I recommend downloading them from Sony eSupport directly.

If you are still waiting for your yellow envelope, don't be frustrated, it's coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment